Sunday, June 29, 2014

Steps III // 3

I finished the top of Steps III a while ago but didn't get around to showing it to you. I still have to straighten up the edges. While I love Steps I and II I'm not that happy with Steps III. Some solids totally disappear in the shirt fabric around them. And although the nitty-gritty piecing was fun and used up some scraps, the result isn't convincing. I think I did put too much thoughts into this top. The title steps misled me to look for meaning where there shouldn't be any. I wanted the piecing to be more complex in the lower parts and the solid steps to take you to higher more transparent areas. What was I thinking?! I hope this was my one and only attempt of putting meaning into a quilt top and will stay focused on color, form and proportions from now on. Funny that in a way I made the same experience in the painting class I'm attending since years. When trying to make a series of three, the third one always fails. Talking of painting: I'll soon post some of my water paintings, remember?
Now I'm not sure what to do with this top? Put it away for a while? Cut it up and rearrange? Turn it into a quilt? Maybe I can come up with that ingenious idea about how to quilt it that would save it?
Comments and suggestions very welcome.

Das Top von Steps III ist schon länger fertig, ich muss nur noch die Seiten begradigen. Während mir Steps I und II sehr gefallen, bin ich mit Steps III unzufrieden. Einige Uni-Farben verschwinden fast ganz im Hintergrund. Und das detaillierte Piecing hat zwar Spass gemacht und gut Reste verwertet aber das Resultat ist gar nicht überzeugend. Ich glaube, ich wollte hier einfach zuviel. Ich habe mich durch den Titel verführen lassen, Bedeutung in etwas bringen zu wollen, wo sie gar nicht hingehört. Das Top sollte unten komplexer sein und die Stufen in höhere, klarere Ebenen führen. Worauf wollte ich bloss hinaus?! Ich hoffe, dies war mein einziger Versuch, einen Quilttop mit Sinn versehen zu wollen und von nun an konzentriere ich mich nur noch auf Farbe, Form und Proportion allein. Witzig, dass ich im Gestaltungskurs, den ich seit Jahren besuche ähnliche Erfahrungen mache. Jedes mal, wenn ich eine Dreierserie malen will, misslingt mir das dritte Bild. Übrigens: Bald poste ich meine Wasserbilder, ihr erinnert euch?
Was soll ich nun bloss mit diesem Top tun? Einfach mal weglegen? Zerschneiden und neu gestalten? Doch zu einem Quilt weiter verarbeiten? Wie würde ich diesen bloss quilten, damit er an Ausstrahlung gewinnt?
Kommentare und Anregungen sehr willkommen.

Il top di Steps III è finito, devo solo addrizzare i lati. Mentre Steps I e II mi piacciono molto, Steps III non mi soddisfa affatto. I colori non risaltano bene e dei dettagli si perdono completamente. Ho voluto fare troppo e ho fallito. Mi sono lasciata trascinare dal titolo e ho voluto mettere troppo significato in questo top. Volevo fare una parte più complessa in basso con dei gradini che portano in alto e al sereno. Ma cosa mi è venuto in mente? Spero che da ora in poi, invece di cercare di dare senso dove senso non serve, mi concentrerò solamente sulla questione di colore, forma e proporzione, come faccio al corso di disegno. Strano che anche lì quando tento di fare una serie di tre dipinti, il terzo non riesce mai. A proposito di dipinti, presto vi mostro i miei sul tema acqua, vi ricordate?
Ora cosa faccio con questo top? Me lo scordo? Lo taglio a pezzi per comporre un altro disegno? O lo finisco a quilt? Come potrei quiltarlo per farlo vincere di statura?
Commenti e stimuli saranno molto benvenuti.




1 comment:

  1. I like the quilt! I would say that the solids are too symmetrical or thought like you said, for me as least. I like more random. The detail is fantastic, and could make a small quilt in itself. Feels a bit lost in the whole. Good work!

    ReplyDelete