Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Hope // 1

While Scraps III is finished and waiting to be photographed I thought I'd show you a work in progress started last November. At that time I needed a project to take along while traveling and since Diamond was already too advanced I decided to start another handpieced quilt top. This time I wanted to try hand piecing without using the english paper piecing method. While I love epp, the process of thread or glue basting is rather annoying to me and I wanted to see if I could simply skip it.

First I selected my color scheme and made some sketches.



I chose pink, grey and red as color scheme and opted once more for diamond shapes.
Then I selected the fabrics.



For accuracy I had to trace the diamond shape on the fabric. This gave me my sewing line. I thought of just eyeballing a quarter inch seam but that just didn't work for me.


Tracing the shapes with the diamond template is also a little boring but having it done meanwhile to a zillion of pieces I can say that it is less annoying than glue or thread basting to me.

I prepared a nice amount of pieces to take along...


... and started sewing blocks of four diamonds.






This is more or less how far I got while being abroad:



Once back home I put it aside and continued to work on Diamond and Scraps III. Meanwhile most of the blocks for the top are done. But that's for another day. 

1 comment:

  1. Love that fabric pull. What is the very pale pink fabric in the bottom of your pin pile?

    ReplyDelete