First I selected my color scheme and made some sketches.
I chose pink, grey and red as color scheme and opted once more for diamond shapes.
Then I selected the fabrics.
For accuracy I had to trace the diamond shape on the fabric. This gave me my sewing line. I thought of just eyeballing a quarter inch seam but that just didn't work for me.
Tracing the shapes with the diamond template is also a little boring but having it done meanwhile to a zillion of pieces I can say that it is less annoying than glue or thread basting to me.
I prepared a nice amount of pieces to take along...
... and started sewing blocks of four diamonds.
This is more or less how far I got while being abroad:
Once back home I put it aside and continued to work on Diamond and Scraps III. Meanwhile most of the blocks for the top are done. But that's for another day.